Friday, July 22, 2011

Sonohistogram

Such a long word - sonohistogram.  And it is one I wish to never hear again in my lifetime.  This was the last of my testing for the IVF - a simple procedure that should take about 15 minutes.  They take a sonogram from the inside of your uterus to make sure that there are no problems with implantation - a smooth uterus per se. 

My mom always said I was special.  I hate it when she is right.  I am so special that my cervix was too small for the simple procedure.  My poor husband accompanied me - and after seeing me in such pain with tears streaming down my face and the two nurses and one doctor trying everything they can - he turned white as a ghost!  One of the nurses stated this only happens in about one out of 50 people they see.  I am so special that it took me two days to recover, while the woman that was ahead of me practically skipped out of the hospital.  I slept for nearly 12 hours that first night and 9 hours the next night.  Today I am finally walking at regular speed and just have some minor cramping. 

Here is the run down on the IVF proceedures - we obviously had to get an egg donor.  One reason is because with early menopause, I no longer have any good eggs.  Second, after major testing, we found that I have one too many spacers on my DNA chain.  This is fairly new technology and what it tells us is that if we were to have a girl with my egg she would be healthy because she would get one X from me and one X from Kirk.  If we were to have a boy, he would be mentally handicapped because he would only be getting one X from me and a Y from Kirk.  Without Kirks X, chances would be slim to have a healthy boy.  After discovering this, I found out that I have a friend that has the same problem - and she has a son. 

So, my eggs exit stage left and in walks anonymous donor number 1.  Kirk and I were given a database full of woman that were donating their eggs.  We typed in our criteria and up popped about 10 woman with brown hair and hazel eyes.  They were as close to my characteristics as we could get.  We had gone through this process once before and picked out our top 4 donors.  But with the delay in the process, we did not choose one.  To my delight, there were some new faces in the crowd to review.  I picked out my top three and then Kirk viewed his.  We settled on three hoping one of them would be available.  Our number one pick had been a donor before and was everything we were looking for - except she is a bit shorter than me.  But she is bright (college educated) articulate, and talented (she sings in the church band).  Well, miss anonymous donor number 1 was center stage with the spotlight beaming - and she was available!!!

Soooooo, our process begins around August 3, which is when #1 will be ready.  The exact date is not set yet, but once she is fully ready we will then begin operation countdown.  The whole process should take about 5-6 weeks.  Keep us in your optimistic prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment