Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Who's my neighbor?!?!

Kirk and I love to go across the street from our apartment complex into the rich neighborhood.  It is nice to take the dogs through on a walk, or ride our bikes down the tree covered streets.  The houses are sitting on a few acres - which is rare for that area.  It is like a little hidden treasure close to uptown.  There are small and big houses and even just plots of land waiting for a house. We like to peer in through the gates and dream about what we would do with a yard and a house like that.  Other times we laugh at the ridiculous architecture or gaudy accents.  It is amazing what people can do with their houses.  One even has a fake grass driveway - mind you the rest of the yard is real grass.

Our favorite thing about this neighborhood is the peacocks.  One of our lovely neighbors decided to get a pair as pets.  I have no idea how many years ago that was, but I can assure you they have multiplied like rabbits.  Now they are all over the neighborhood and in the streets.  The males are so beautiful, especially during mating season.  I could sit and watch them for hours. 

One day Kirk and I were at the pool hanging out with one of our neighbors.  We were talking about the neighborhood across the street and the peacocks.  Then he mentioned that the house on the corner (the one with three massive buildings on it) was Yao Mings house.  Could this be?  Are we neighbors to a famous basketball player?  It appears the main mansion is Yao Mings house, the second mansion is where his family lives and the third - the larges of the three - is Yao's personal gymnasium, complete with an indoor basketball court.  I guess it makes sense that would be his property - right across the street (on my side of the neighborhood) is the Yao Ming family restaurant.  Pretty cool...

I drive by his house everyday after work - that neighborhood my shortcut home from the main streets.  I can't help but look at that house now and wonder who is there at that moment.  I am sure there are other famous people on that street.  I guess I am better not knowing.  Especially since I like waiving to my new neighbor Yao!

No comments:

Post a Comment